SME workforce expected to lead voting turnout for UK general election
- Small business (SME) owner intention to vote on May 7th is running at 93% (up to 98% in some regions).
- In 2010, voting turnout among SME owners was 80% (versus a general turnout of 65%).
- 67% of SME owners say they’ll be encouraging their staff to vote.
- 55% of SMEs allowing staff voting during working hours.
Research commissioned by MakeItCheaper.com suggests that SMEs will lead voting turnout at the 2015 UK general election with 93% of SME owners intending to vote and two thirds (67%) encouraging their staff to do the same. Over half (55%) will allow their staff to vote during business hours (around 8.4 million employees1). The figures compare favorably to the 80% of SME owners who voted in the 2010 Election, where the general turnout was just 65%.
The North East is set to have the highest turnout amongst SME business owners, with 98% intending to visit the polling stations on May 7th. The region with the lowest intended turnout is the West Midlands with 90% - which is still 25% higher than the general turnout of 2010.
A breakdown of voting intention by region is shown in the table below:
Small businesses visitng Polling Stations on 7th May will include*:
- Rockingham's in Southam CV47 0HE
- Academy Ballons in Liverpool L17 0BJ
- Jet Studios Limited in London SW6 4EH
- Zen Beauty in Manchester M45 6AA
- Zagal Limited in Bristol BS1 3AU
- Seli-Shuss in Sheffield S1 2GL
- Jobel Limited in Lymouth PL1 3LS
- Radfields Home Care Limited in Shrewsbury SY3 8JY
For more information on how small business owners intend to vote, visit Make It Cheaper: The Small Business Vote.
- END -
Further information: Nick Heath 020 7654 0730 / 07720 297972 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editor:
*Case study contact details available on request.
Total SME employee population = 15,200,000. Source: Federation of Small Businesses
Research among 1,000 UK business owners and managers was conducted by Google on behalf of Make It Cheaper on 16/04/15.
Running your business is about to get a lot easier
Our expert service helps you get on – and stay on – lower, fairer rates for electricity, gas, landline, broadband, merchant services and insurance.
Call us to get started.