Ofcom rollover ban to benefit SMEs
Make It Cheaper managing director Jonathan Elliott reacts to rollover ban on business telecoms contracts.
From today (31.12.11), small businesses will enjoy greater freedom and flexibility in their choice of telecoms contracts as Ofcom's 'Rollover Ban' comes into effect.
The regulator's ban means that businesses will no longer be automatically renewed into a new contract before their old one expires and can shop around for a better deal in a timeframe to suit them, without fear of being penalised.
Jonathan Elliott, managing director of Make It Cheaper, commented:
Anything that makes it easier to switch means that more people will be prepared to give it a go. This encourages competition and should lead to suppliers keeping a lid on prices as well as focussing more on customer service as they try to reduce churn. Research that we commissioned this year shows that over half of businesses now regularly review their phone contracts so there's clearly room for improvement. The average saving made by switching is around 30% and current deals include things like free broadband for a year and unlimited call bundles, so every business should at least have a look to see if there's a better option at the end of their contract. By banning rollovers, Ofcom has made this process much less hassle for busy businesses.
Business owners that have recently switched their phone lines/broadband contracts via Make It Cheaper's free and impartial service include:
- Bernadette Lancaster-Atkinson, Floral Pride (Aberdeen): "Super service that I will not hesitate to recommend. Will save me over £180 in the first year for my telecoms line."
- Tom Poole, Mawdesley Post Office (Lancashire): "Very quick whilst also getting to the bottom of the savings, by comparing against my latest bill. Super, saving us £100 a month, with next-to-no effort on our part!"
- Claire Fretwell, Pharmcet (Doncaster): "The consultant was very efficient. Once I'd supplied him with the costs we were already paying, he came back quickly with the best prices and we'll be making a massive saving in the year."
- Richard Griffiths, North Wales Holiday Cottages & Farm Houses (Conwy): "A top service that takes all the hassle out of finding the best deal, and they found us a better deal than we could."
- Kay Renders, Poppies (Gloucestershire): "It was so easy. Just one phone call and it was all sorted out. No forms to fill in, no hard sell, and very little time. Excellent!!"
- Don Foster, Coolopps Limited (Guildford): "The telecoms deal we have agreed will save us about £25 per month. Fantastic service."
- Dianne Nichol, Custom Divers (Redhill): "Everything explained in detail and all my questions answered satisfactorily. Consultant was extremely helpful, telephoned at a time to suit me and ensured we were happy with the proposals for saving money."
- Matthew Swindles, Engraving Services (Southend): "Very happy with efficiency of switch process, am looking forward to using services again next year and making savings again."
- ENDS -