Meet our advisory panel
The Make It Cheaper advisory panel is made up of some of the UK's most experienced and successful business people.
Their expertise helps provide us with a guiding hand as we continue on our mission to put a smile on the faces of British businesses. With each bringing a different set of ideas, challenges and perspectives, we're hugely excited about working with them in the coming years. Let's meet them.
Simon Lee is an International Advisor to Fairfax Financial, where he sits on the Boards of Brit Insurance and Advent Underwriting. He is on the Global Advisory Board of Afiniti Inc, Chairman of Osirium Technologies plc, Non-Executive Director of TIA Technology and DGS Ltd and Chairman of Hospice in the Weald.
Until December 2013, Simon was Group Chief Executive of RSA Insurance Group plc, a FTSE 100 company, operating at the time in 32 countries, employing around 23,000 people, writing c. £9bn in premiums with assets of c. £21bn.
What Make It Cheaper Executive Team say about Simon:
- “Brings experience, calmness and financial rigour.”
- “Has helped Make It Cheaper move into insurance and grow up.”
- “Brings the best of corporate without stifling our entrepreneurial flair.”
- “A regal, statesman-like presence around the board room (but don't mention the cricket!)"
Simon Devonshire built and led Wayra Europe, the business accelerator that belongs to Telefonica. In less than two years Wayra had seven academies in five countries across Europe, investing in c. 200 digital start-ups, valued at over €300m.
He is one the UK’s leading figures in the tech start up scene and in 2014 was appointed as Entrepreneur In Residence for UK Government. He is a frequent visitor to the highest echelons of government to advise and cajole.
Originally a marketer, Simon worked on a diverse range of prestigious brands including: Virgin Media, Yellow Pages, Post Office, Total, Thomas Cook, Spillers, and HJ Heinz.
Simon is also a serial entrepreneur. Simultaneous to his corporate career, he helped co-found and scale-up a remarkable portfolio of businesses that includes: One Water, Zopa.com, Local Data Company, and Talent Cupboard.
What the Make It Cheaper Executive Team say about Simon:
- “Unrivalled SME marketing experience defining a brand.”
- “Digitally disruptive and macro landscape aware, a bundle of creative energy and strategic challenge encouraging us to tell the world how to save millions for thousands.”
- “Challenges us to predict the future, and keeps us aware of trends in tech and fast growth business environments.”
Moira Clark is Professor of Strategic Marketing at Henley Business School and Director of The Henley Centre for Customer Management (A consortium of organisations who are interested in leading-edge best practice in customer management of which MIC is a member).
A frequent keynote speaker at many public and in-company seminars and conferences around the world, her major area of research and consulting is in Customer Management, Customer Retention and Internal Marketing. She works extensively in the area of culture and climate and the critical linkages between employee behaviour and business performance.
What Make It Cheaper Executive team say about Moira:
- “Passion, expertise and thought leadership on customer experience grounded in academic research and what good looks like among the world’s best companies.”
- “Guides us with relentless determination and huge energy to see us put a smile on the face of our customers.”
- “Whenever Moira comes in to present at Make It Cheaper company meetings, it’s always a full house and the team listen to every word – they’re spellbound!”
Previously CEO of Europe's largest online DVD Rental business growing at a huge rate -LOVEFiLM was acquired by Amazon.com. Simon then joined the Board of Mothercare Plc. as CEO to lead the turnaround and restore the company at its rightful place as the number one global mother and baby company.
In July 2015 Simon became one of the founding Partners at BGF Ventures an early stage £200m tech investment company. He is also Chairman of Moo.com.
What the MIC Exec team say about Simon:
- “A lesson in the art of the possible.”
- “A tour guide to the world of private equity and high growth businesses.”
- “Love hearing about the war stories of scaling Love Film.”
- “Has a pulse on new innovation and disruption in the market, patience professional and a reminder to our strategic compass.”
Martyn is currently CEO of Welsh Rugby Union, and before that was As CEO, Retail Director and HR Director of B&Q, Martyn led the £4bn, 360 store, 33,000 employee home improvement business alongside his role as part of the Group Operating Board of Kingfisher plc.
He has worked with the MIC management team now for 3 years, and attends the monthly operational board meetings. He has helped the team shape the strategy for the business, and holds us to account in executing it.
Make It Cheaper Executive team say:
- “Uniquely combining the experiences of fast moving corporate , £billion CEO ship and sports performance & physiology , providing strategic and commercial challenge , people insight and leadership development at a world beating level.”
- “Can cut through the noise and fog to the core issues with precision and pace.”
- “He has an amazing knack of asking us the right questions to help us work out the right answers for ourselves – showing us we already knew the right way.”