Plumbers insurance

A quick guide to the various form of cover plumbers could benefit from.

The nature of the job means a plumber can encounter a number of hazardous risks in their day-to-day activities. As such, it’s important that plumbers, self employed or otherwise, protect themselves, their businesses, and their clients by having the proper insurance in place to safeguard against these risks.

Of course, no two plumbers will perform identical jobs under exactly the same circumstances, so the types of insurance that each plumber takes out are likely to be different. It’s up to you to take out the policies that are most relevant to your plumbing business, and protect against the risks that you're most likely to be exposed to. Some of the types of cover you may want to consider taking out include:

  • Public liability insurance:
    Plumbers public liability insurance can provide you with financial protection should a client or member of the public claim against you for causing personal injury or property damage. For instance, if you failed to join a pipe properly, and water then leaked, causing damage to the building, you could be held liable for that damage. A plumber’s public liability policy could help to pay your legal fees, as well as compensation to the client for damages.
  • Equipment and tools insurance:
    As a plumber, it’s likely that you use a number of specialist tools and equipment to carry out your work. To protect these items against damage, theft and loss, you would need a business contents insurance policy that includes a tools and equipment extension under its cover. A successful claim for your equipment or tools could reimburse you for repairs or replacements that need to be made.
  • Goods in transit insurance:
    Goods in transit insurance is a specialist type of contents insurance that can protect your business’s contents during transportation. There’s a good chance that you travel to clients’ properties to work, and will need to transport items, such as your tools and equipment, with you. If your contents were to suffer damage, for example from a motor accident, then goods in transit insurance could provide you with funding for repairs or replacements.
  • Contract works insurance:
    Contract works is not an individual policy in itself, but a combination of covers that protect works in progress. If you are performing a particularly large job that must be completed over time, you may want to protect the work you have already done – as well as materials left on site – with contract works insurance.

    If partially completed work was to suffer damage – for example water damage – then you may have to pay for additional labour costs, invest in extra materials, and spend more time completing the job. Contract works insurance could help to reimburse you for these unexpected expenses.
  • Employers' liability insurance:
    Employers’ liability cover can provide you with financial protection should your business be deemed responsible for causing injury or illness to anyone working for you.

    If you hire or employ any additional workers to help you complete jobs, then there’s a good chance you’ll need to have employers’ liability insurance in place. Most businesses are legally required to have this cover, if they:
    • Employ full or part-time staff.
    • Hire subcontractors.
    • Take on apprentices.
    • Have unpaid workers or volunteers.
    However, there are some exceptions, such as if you only employ close family members.
  • Business interruption insurance:
    Business interruption insurance can be beneficial if you are unable to work due to reasons outside of your control. For example, if your piping supplier went out of business unexpectedly and left you unable to perform jobs that you had agreed to, you could lose out on income as a result. A successful claim on a business interruption insurance policy could reimburse you for money lost in this situation.

Get a plumbers insurance quote. Call 0800 144 4808

  • We’ve helped thousands of Britain's business owners protect what’s important to them.
  • Our UK-based agents will set up your policy to make life as easy for you as possible.
  • We’ll always make sure you get the cover that’s right for you and your business – no unnecessary extras.
  • You’ll get a personal account broker who’ll be on hand to help if you ever need to make a claim.

The right business insurance at a price you'll like.

Our expert service finds policies and prices from trusted providers and makes it easy to protect your business properly.

Call 0800 144 4808 to get a policy that's right for you.

Ok, let's get started

Our customers love us!

Found this page useful?

Help spread the word and share this page with your friends and family on your social networks:

Running your business is about to get a lot easier

Our expert service helps you get on – and stay on – lower, fairer rates for electricity, gas, landline, broadband, merchant services and insurance.

Call us to get started.

0800 144 4808

Prefer that we call you? Just leave your details.

By providing your details you confirm you agree with our terms and conditions and privacy policy