Painters and decorators insurance

As a painter and decorator, the service you provide and the satisfaction of customers is often key to your success – but so is the financial stability of your business.

While your customers will appreciate the quality of the work you do on their property, you’ll need to ensure your business itself is covered in the event anything goes wrong.

Some of the key policies you may be offered as part of a painters or decorators insurance package include:

  • Public liability insurance:
    As your profession involves dealing directly with customers and members of the public, public liability insurance could prove to be essential for your business. This cover can provide protection against claims that your business has caused injury to a third-party, or damage to their property. You may need to pay compensation after such claims, for which public liability insurance can cover the costs.

    If you’re a member of a professional body such as the Painting and Decorating Association, you will be required to hold adequate public liability insurance as a condition of your membership. If you’re painting or decorating for a government or local authority, they may require you to be covered for a certain amount (typically between £5-10 million). Some of your customers may also insist on seeing proof of insurance before they can agree to let you work on their property.

         Click the link to compare public liability insurance prices. 

  • Product liability insurance:
    You may benefit from product liability insurance which can provide financial assistance if you need to defend against claims that a product you have supplied or sold has caused injury to your customer or member of the public – or caused damage to their property. If you use chemicals and hazardous materials, it is important to understand the risks involved and to make sure you, your employees and your customers are safe while the work is being carried out.
  • Professional indemnity insurance:
    Potentially an important policy for painters and decorators, professional indemnity (PI) insurance covers claims involving professional negligence and poor workmanship for professionals who give specialist advice or perform a service. This cover can pay the costs necessary to defend against claims from third-parties that your service or advice has caused material, physical or financial loss, and can cover any compensation awarded as a result.

          For more information, visit our what is professional indemnity page.

  • Employers’ liability insurance:
    If you employ workers for your painting or decorating business, you will need to purchase employers’ liability insurance. This is a mandatory form of cover for anyone who employs staff – whether paid or unpaid – and can provide compensation if your employee claims to have become ill or injured due to working for you. You can usually extend this policy to include cover for temporary employees for a specified amount of days.

    To help ensure your employees are safe during their employment with you, it is important to make sure they know how to use the tools and equipment correctly and safely – and that they are wearing the appropriate protective equipment.
  • Buildings and contents insurance:
    If you work from a business premises, you may benefit from buildings insurance, which can provide financial protection for the main structure of your premises and its permanent fixtures and fittings. This cover can come in handy if your business premises is damaged or destroyed due to unexpected strong weather, fire, flood or vandalism.

    You may also include contents insurance in your insurance package, which can provide similar protection for your business contents, including office equipment and furniture, computers, stock, materials, tools and specialist equipment. This cover can provide financial assistance if you need to repair or replace these items after damage, theft or loss.
  • Tools insurance:
    Tools insurance can be an invaluable aspect of your overall insurance policy, as it can protect the tools of your trade against damage, theft and loss. It can be difficult to quickly replace tools in such instances without the financial assistance you could receive with sufficient insurance cover. Insurers may offer 24 hour cover, which can protect your tools while in overnight storage. While tools insurance is mainly for small, portable hand-held tools, plant and machinery insurance can provide protection if you also use larger items.

    If you regularly travel with your tools, equipment and materials, you may consider purchasing goods in transit insurance which can provide protection for your business items while they are being transported from site to site, and can pay replacement or repair costs if the items are stolen or damaged in transit.
  • Van insurance:
    Van insurance can provide cover for vehicles you use for your business, whether you’re transporting your business items or simply travelling with your employees to a customer’s property. This cover can provide financial assistance if you are in an accident, if your vehicle is damaged by fire, or if your vehicle or its contents are the target of thieves. If you have more than one business vehicle, you could look to purchase motor fleet insurance as an alternative.
  • Contract works insurance:
    Contract works insurance is also known as Contractors’ All-Risks (CAR) insurance and can provide protection for the building you’re working on against unexpected damage or vandalism – and for the materials, tools and equipment you are using against theft. This cover can help with the costs of repairing the building, redoing the work you’ve completed, hiring replacement materials or tools and hiring extra staff.
  • Cash on premises cover:
    Cash on premises cover can provide useful protection for your business money, whether it is in cash registers or safes, in your wallet or that of your employees, or in transit to and from the bank or customers’ houses. You can usually include personal assault cover within this policy, which can provide financial assistance if you or an employee is injured during a theft or attempted theft.
  • Business interruption insurance:
    Business interruption insurance can cover any loss in revenue you experience due to being unable to trade following an event covered in your insurance policy. It can also cover any increased costs of working you may have to deal with, such as setting up at a temporary location, replacing tools and materials or hiring extra staff.
  • Personal accident insurance:
    You may find personal accident insurance a useful addition to your overall insurance policy. This cover can help cover the financial losses you may experience if you are seriously injured or become seriously ill and are unable to work. Personal accident insurance can cover loss of revenue, medical bills and the cost of making adaptations to your home or business premises. Cover can be arranged for your employees for the same circumstances, either individually or within a group policy.

    It is important to make sure your insurance policy fully covers the operations of your business and is suited to guard against the risks you face. Check your policy wording carefully as some insurers may specify certain exclusions and conditions, including:
    • Property types: you may be asked to specify the type of properties at which you expect to work, including whether the property is domestic or commercial – typically, premiums are higher for commercial properties.
    • Working at height: insurers may specify a maximum height at which they are willing to cover you.
    • Working from cradles: insurers may refuse to cover you if you intend to work from cradles.
    • Flammable liquids: insurers may specify the amount of flammable liquids – such as paint and finishes – you are allowed to store at your business premises or storage facility.

Get the insurance that’s right for your business. Call 0800 144 4808

  • We’ve helped thousands of Britain's business owners protect what’s important to them.
  • Our UK-based agents will set up your policy to make life as easy for you as possible.
  • We’ll always make sure you get the cover that’s right for you and your business – no unnecessary extras.
  • You’ll get a personal account broker who’ll be on hand to help if you ever need to make a claim.

The right business insurance at a price you'll like.

Our expert service finds policies and prices from trusted providers and makes it easy to protect your business properly.

Call 0800 144 4808 to get a policy that's right for you.

Ok, let's get started

Our customers love us!

Found this page useful?

Help spread the word and share this page with your friends and family on your social networks:

Running your business is about to get a lot easier

Our expert service helps you get on – and stay on – lower, fairer rates for electricity, gas, landline, broadband, merchant services and insurance.

Call us to get started.

0800 144 4808

Prefer that we call you? Just leave your details.

By providing your details you confirm you agree with our terms and conditions and privacy policy