What is landlord insurance?
Landlord and property owners insurance can protect you from financial losses related to damage of your property, or its contents. It also covers you for any costs related to rental activities. Rental property insurance is different to normal home insurance as it’s more specific - protecting your property and tenants against the unique risks faced by you as a landlord
What type of property owners insurance do I need?
All landlord policies are different as they’re designed to suit the needs of your tenancy agreement. A typical landlord house insurance policy would cover
- Landlord building insurance: Protects against things that threaten the security of your property, for example the damage, loss or theft of permanent fixtures
- Landlord liability insurance: Covers you if tenants become injured, or contents are damaged due to a fault with your property.
- Landlord contents insurance: Covers replacement costs for loss, theft or damage of contents.
- Alternative accommodation insurance: Covers you if the property becomes uninhabitable due to a domestic dis, for example flooding or fire.
- Landlord legal cover: Covers the cost of legal fees in the event of any disputes with your tenants.
What does landlord insurance cover?
Landlord insurance and property owners policies cover everything from property damage to the replacement of contents:
- Fire and lightning
Some insurers can provide cover for a mix of commercial and residential properties within the same policy. It’s important to have this protection in place in case something happens and you are held liable.
For information on what you and your tenant are responsible for, see our landlord vs tenant page.
What does landlord insurance include and exclude?
You may want to include extra forms of protection in your rental insurance policy. Some policy extensions include:
- Accidental damage insurance for landlords: Covers damage of property due to unintentional breakage or spillage.Home emergencies cover: Covers the cost of repairs to your gas, electricity, heating or water supply.Impact cover: Protects you against structural damage due to vehicles, falling trees, animals and aircrafts.Alternative accommodation cover: Protects you if your property becomes uninhabitable and you have to provide an alternative residence.
Protect your properties now - call us on 0800 188 4976 Our experts will compare quotes from the UK’s most trusted insurers and adapt your insurance to suit the needs of your business.
Call us on 0800 144 4808 and let's talk
Our service helps you get on - and stay on - lower, fairer rates for electricity, gas, landline, broadband, merchant services and insurance.
Prefer us to call you? Enter your details in the form on the right.
You complete the form, we call you, good things happen.