Contract works insurance

Take a look at our guide to contract works insurance to see if you could benefit from the cover.

Contract works is a collection of policies specifically designed to provide protection for works in progress on construction sites, including projects taking place both on public and privately owned properties. Contract works insurance can provide protection for a few different elements of ongoing, uncompleted contract works, such as:

  • Partially-completed buildings and structures.
  • Unused materials left on site.
  • Additional labour costs.

Contract works insurance could provide financial assistance if an element of your works in progress suffers from damage or theft. Let’s consider an example.

If an unexpected incident, such as a severe flood, causes damage to a building you have begun to construct - as well as raw materials you left on site - it could cost you money for the extra labour to repair damages, as well as for replacement materials. In this situation, a contract works policy could provide financial reimbursement for these unforeseen expenses.

It’s important to note that, in this situation - even if you have stock insurance to cover your raw materials, and the site owner or client had buildings insurance in place - you will probably still need specialised contract works cover to protect stock while it’s on site. The same applies to buildings that are not yet completed.

Who needs contract works cover?

Contract works can be beneficial to many traders in the construction industry, such as contractors and tradesmen, who regularly carry out work on construction sites.

Examples of some of the specific traders that could benefit from contract works cover include:

  • Builders.
  • Building contractors.
  • Property developers.
  • Electricians.
  • Double glazing installers.
  • Shop fitters.
  • Bricklayers.
  • Carpenters and joiners.
  • Plasterers.
  • Floor and wall tilers.

Contract works insurance could also be beneficial to non-tradesmen, such as homeowners carrying out private renovation works on their properties, or landlords of rental properties.

Get the insurance that’s right for your business. Call 0800 144 4808

  • We’ve helped thousands of Britain's business owners protect what’s important to them.
  • Our UK-based agents will set up your policy to make life as easy for you as possible.
  • We’ll always make sure you get the cover that’s right for you and your business – no unnecessary extras.
  • You’ll get a personal account broker who’ll be on hand to help if you ever need to make a claim.

The right business insurance at a price you'll like.

Our expert service finds policies and prices from trusted providers and makes it easy to protect your business properly.

Call 0800 144 4808 to get a policy that's right for you.

Ok, let's get started

Our customers love us!

Found this page useful?

Help spread the word and share this page with your friends and family on your social networks:

Running your business is about to get a lot easier

Our expert service helps you get on – and stay on – lower, fairer rates for electricity, gas, landline, broadband, merchant services and insurance.

Call us to get started.

0800 144 4808

Prefer that we call you? Just leave your details.

By providing your details you confirm you agree with our terms and conditions and privacy policy