Need help? Call us on

0800 970 0077

Monday to friday from 9am to 5:30pm

Charity Insurance

Charity Insurance


What is charity insurance?

Charity insurance is a combination of policies designed to protect small charities, local community groups and nonprofit organisations from risks and claims. You can adapt your insurance package to suit the needs of your sector by adding extra policies and increasing your cover for certain circumstances.

Which types of charity insurance cover do I need?

There are many risks that a charity should be financially protected against. From a volunteer becoming injured, or a visitor suffering property damage - you should always be prepared for accidents.

The following insurance policies are most commonly taken out by charities, but whether or not they make up the right package for you depends upon the type of charity you operate:

  • Public liability insurance: Protects you against claims related to a customer, client or third party becoming injured, ill or suffering property damage.
  • Business contents insurance: Covers the replacement of items, if damaged, lost or stolen.
  • Employers liability insurance: Employers’ liability insurance protects against claims related to a member of staff becoming ill or injured.
  • Product liability insurance: Protects against claims for personal injury or property damage caused by a product your charity designed, sold or supplied.
  • Professional indemnity insurance: Covers cost of claims related to poor service or advice. This would protect your trustees, for example.
  • Business interruption insurance: Provides financial support if your charity is forced to close.
  • Trustee indemnity cover: This protects the trustee and charity as a whole against liability arising from a wrongful act by a trustee.

How much cover do I need?

The amount of cover you need depends on your charity’s sector and size - you can find this out by going through a quote with us

If your charity has a board of trustees, they may require an additional level of cover due to the extra risks that come with fulfilling a higher-level role.

It’s a legal requirement to have employers’ liability insurance, if your charity employs staff or volunteers. With this policy, you’ll be protected against claims related to staff injury or illness.

To ensure your charity is abiding by the law, you must:

  • Have at least £5 million worth of cover
  • Keep your insurance certificate on display within your premises

Without employers’ liability cover, you could be fined as much as £2,500 a day.

Protect your organisation now - call us on 0800 970 0077 Our experts will compare quotes from the specialist panel of trusted insurers and adapt your insurance to suit the needs of your charity.