Need help? Call us on

0800 970 0077

Monday to friday from 9am to 5:30pm

Business Contents Insurance

Business Contents Insurance


What is business contents insurance?

Contents insurance is a stand alone policy that protects the physical items within your business premises. But, it can also be included as part of the commercial combined insurance package. Whether you’re a cafe owner, manufacturer or work in office- you’ll need quality cover to protect your furniture and equipment. If you were to lose the things your business relies on, your contents policy would cover you financially. That way, you can replace or repair them quickly.

Why do I need business contents insurance?

If the physical items within your business were to become lost, stolen or damaged, your business contents insurance would pay for them to be replaced or repaired. Here are examples of situations where you will be protected:

  • Fault or breakdown of equipment
  • Malicious damage
  • Fire
  • Explosion
  • Storm
  • Flood
  • Earthquakes

You can adapt your insurance policy to suit your business’s needs. For example, your shop insurance package may require additional cover for stock as this is something your business relies on to be able to run

What does business contents insurance cover?

Your insurance policy can be customised to cover all the items in your business you think need protecting. This may include:

  • Furniture
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Tools and equipment
  • Stock
  • Goods in transit
  • Cash on premises

Which type of contents insurance do I need?

There are two types of business contents insurance that you can choose from:

  • Indemnity contents insurance: This policy pays for exact replacements of stolen or damaged items.
  • New for old contents insurance: This cover pays for brand new replacements of damaged or stolen items and is the preferred option for most businesses.

What other insurance policies do I need?

If you don’t have office or commercial combined insurance, the structure of your premises won’t be covered, so you’ll need commercial property buildings insurance to protect against damage to the bricks and mortar.

You may also need public liability insurance if customers are visiting your office. This would cover compensation costs and legal fees if a customer was to injure themselves or if their property is damaged.

You’ll need employers liability insurance if you have one or more employees, volunteers or freelance staff at your office, as it’s a legal requirement. This will protect you against claims if they have an accident or their property is damaged at work.

How much is business contents insurance?

It’s not possible to give an accurate price for commercial contents insurance as every business has different needs. There are a number of things that can affect the price of your policy:

  • The value of the contents you want to protect
  • Any extensions you include in the cover
  • The industry your business operates within
  • Your past claims history

Protect your business now - call us on 0800 970 0077 Our experts will compare quotes from the UK’s most trusted insurers and adapt your insurance to suit the needs of your business.