Contact us on 0800 140 4659 or find more ways to do it here.

Energy VAT reduction for charities and non-profit organisations

We make it easy for you to get an energy deal that's right for your organisation, comparing prices from a wide panel of suppliers and setting up any contracts to save you time and money.

Get an energy quote

VAT for business gas and electricity

The article below explains what Value Added Tax (VAT) is, when it will be applied to businesses and how much it costs.

You’re legally required to pay VAT, but there are ways you can save money to cover this cost. By switching energy, you could save an average of £970*.

  • We’ll handle everything for you.
  • We work with suppliers you know and trust.
  • You don’t need to be up for renewal.

Find out more by filling in the form.

Fill in the form for

a quick energy quote

By submitting your details you agree to our terms and conditions and privacy policy. We promise we won't share your data with others for marketing purposes.


What is VAT?

VAT is a consumption tax, levied by the government on services and goods. This tax is applied to goods that are bought or sold for consumption or use, including sport, utilities, transport and financial services.








*10% of our customers save £970 or more.

Should my business be VAT registered?

By law, if your business’s taxable turnover is more than £85,000 per year, you must register for VAT. Businesses with an annual turnover of less than this can voluntarily register for VAT.

When you register, HMRC will send you a VAT registration certificate. This confirms:

  • your VAT number
  • when to submit your first VAT Return and payment
  • your ‘effective date of registration’ (the date you went over the threshold, or the date you asked to register)

What does VAT apply to?

If VAT-registered, you’ll typically include 20% VAT in the price of your goods and services. This VAT will need to be paid to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) every three months.

VAT isn’t charged on goods or services that are:

  • exempt from VAT
  • outside the scope of the UK VAT system

Can my business claim VAT back?

If your business pays VAT, you claim back any VAT paid on goods and services, using your online VAT account.

For a full list of goods and services that VAT applies to, visit the government website.

Do I pay VAT on business energy?

Yes, business gas and electricity is subject to VAT and unfortunately can’t be claimed back, despite it being a business to business purchase. It’s important to stay on top of your contract renewals, to ensure you’re never paying more than you should. With our Do It For You service, we handle all of this for you, for good. Find out more.

You can find a full list of the charges on your business energy bill. For more information, see our business energy bill guide.

How much VAT do I pay on gas and electricity?

While most businesses will pay VAT at a rate of 20%, some are eligible for a discount. Your energy supplier will automatically add the VAT to your bill, so you’d need to apply for the discount separately.

All businesses will need to pay some level of VAT on their energy bills, but you could cover this cost by switching utilities.

What’s the eligibility criteria for a VAT discount?

You may be eligible to pay a reduced 5% rate of VAT on your energy bills, if you meet certain requirements:

  • At least 60% of your business’s energy is used for domestic purposes.
  • You are a charitable or non-profit organisation.

You’re regarded as having low energy usage if:

  • You use less than 33kWh of electricity per day, or 1,000kWh per month.
  • You use less than 145kWh of gas per day, or 4,397kWh per month.

If your usage is low enough, your supplier should automatically apply the VAT discount to your bill – but you’ll have to check with them to make sure.

Need to reduce your business’s energy consumption? Find out how with our business energy efficiency Guide.

How do I apply for lower energy VAT rates?

You can register for a lower VAT rate using a VAT Declaration Form – you can get this from your energy supplier. This form can be used to claim a rebate for any overpayments over the past four years, either from your energy supplier or from HMRC.

If your organisation qualifies for VAT discount, you’ll automatically be exempt from paying certain government levies too.

If you think that you should be paying a lower amount of VAT we can help. Simply pick your supplier from the drop down menu, and enter your email address and we will send you a VAT declaration form and all the information that you will need.

What is the Climate Change Levy?

The Climate Change Levy (CCL) is a tax designed to encourage energy efficiency and reduced gas emissions for businesses. If you qualify for a reduced rate of VAT, you’ll probably qualify for exemption from the main rates of CCL.

If you don’t qualify for exemption from paying these rates, you could a sign a Climate Change Agreement (CCA) to get a discount on the tax. In a CCA, you will have to agree to make certain energy efficiency improvements to reduce your business’s consumption and emissions.

For information about other grants, or ways to reduce your energy usage, see our business energy efficiency Guide.

Still not sure?

Call one of our experts:

0800 140 4659

“I really liked how easy it is to get a contract sorted. I remembered the virtual signature from last year and I was happy to use it again.”

Shannon Spooner at
Financial Recovery Solutions in Stockport

“We trust you to select the best option and let us know what you have decided. We are more than happy to follow your suggestion.”

Sandra Wood at
Cosmetic Dental Practice in Grimsby

Compare a wide range of quotes

Find great prices from the Big Six and more.


Related articles

Related articles

business energy

Business gas and electricity tariffs explained


business energy

New electricity meter installation


business energy

New gas meter installation


business energy

Energy for charities and non-profit organisations


business energy

Business water switching


Call us on 0800 140 4659 and let's talk

Our service helps you get on - and stay on - lower, fairer rates for electricity, gas, landline, broadband, merchant services and insurance.

Prefer us to call you? Enter your details in the form on the right.

You complete the form, we call you, good things happen.

By submitting your details you agree to our terms and conditions and privacy policy.