Need help? Call us on

0800 970 0077

Monday to friday from 9am to 5:30pm

I’ve switched to an energy tariff I didn’t agree to

I've switched to an energy tariff I didn't agree to


In business, it’s important to keep your energy bills at a manageable level, and one effective way to do this is by switching your business energy contract whenever possible. Once you enter into a contract, you are bound by its terms for the full duration outlined in the terms and conditions. However, in the event that you have been switched to a new energy contract that you did not agreed to, it is possible for you to break the terms of the contract early and transfer back to your old supplier.

If you think that your business energy contract has been switched without your consent, then you should write to the new supplier as soon as possible informing them of your concerns. It’s important to keep written records of your all of your correspondence over this matter - including dates – in case they are required for evidence.

Supplier Contact number Email Address
British gas business 0800 107 3457

British Gas PO Box 227 ROTHERHAM S98 1PD

EDF 0800 096 2255

EDF Energy Osprey House Osprey Road EXETER EX2 7WN

E.ON 0333 202 4586

Customer Service Centre, E.ON, PO Box 7750, Nottingham NG1 6WR

npower for business

Electricity: 0845 166 3360

Gas: 0845 166 3320

npower Group Ltd PO Box 177 Houghton le Spring DH4 9AQ

Scottish Power Business 0800 040 7002

ScottishPower Customer Services, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE

SSE 0345 725 2526

ScottishPower Customer Services, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE

Opus Energy 0843 227 2377

Royal Pavilion, 2 Summerhouse Road, NN3 6BJ

DONG Energy 0800 0568 101

DONG Energy 5 Howick Place London SW1P 1WG

CNG 01423 502 554

CNG Ltd, 2 Victoria Avenue, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 1EL

Corona Energy 0800 804 8589

Edward Hyde Building 38 Clarendon Road Watford, WD17 1JW

Haven Power 01473 725 943

32 The Havens, Ransomes Europark, Ipswich, Suffolk IP3 9SJ

Dual Energy 01903 703 400

Dual Energy, Premium House, The Esplanade, Worthing BN11 2BJ

Gazprom 0845 230 0011

Gazprom Energy, 27 Quay Street, Manchester, M3 3GY

Extra Energy 08451 400 251

54 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8PE

Crown Gas & Power 0161 762 7744

Crown Gas & Power Bury New Road, Heap Bridge, Bury BL9 7HY, UK

It’s also a good idea to write to your old supplier and inform them of the situation. If the switch was made in error, your previous supplier may be able to support your case.

In the event that you have been switched without your consent, the standard procedure is to revert you back to your old supplier on a deemed rate contract. If you have inadvertently switched the wrong meter out of error, then you can be transferred back to your previous meter – provided you have a contract in place with your current supplier, otherwise your supplier may be unable to apply for the meter again.

If this is indeed the case, then you will be reverted back to your old supplier on a deemed rate contract.

Please note: If you are switched back to your old supplier and you have not agreed a formal contract with them, then you should look to formally arrange a contract as soon as possible for better rates.

If your current supplier doesn’t acknowledge your initial correspondence within 14-days then you should escalate the issue, in writing, to your supplier’s CEO. If your correspondence is still ignored, you can escalate the issue to the Energy Ombudsman, after 14-days, who will indecently investigate the issue and make a ruling.


Phone: 0330 440 1624



Post: PO Box 966, Warrington, WA4 9DF

It’s important to be aware that failing to organise a new contract when your current one expires can mean you’re are transferred onto a new contract, without formally agreeing to it. Fortunately, this practice is becoming less and less common place. Many suppliers now choose to transfer you onto a deemed rate contract, which runs on a 30-day rolling term, meaning you’re free to switch away with only 30-days’ notice.

Remember, if you are unhappy with the amount you’re paying through your direct debit, one way you can reduce this is by switching energy suppliers.