Need help? Call us on

0800 970 0077

Monday to friday from 9am to 5:30pm

How do I close my account?

How do I close my account?


All good things come to an end, and whatever the reason is that you have chosen to part ways with your business, it’s important that you fully understand what your responsibilities are. One area that can sometimes cause confusion is around your current business energy contract.

When signing up to a contract, it may have been stressed to you that you’re unable to break your contract before the term ends. This is to say that once you sign up to a business energy contract, you are locked into that contract until the contract end date – which is identified in the contract wording. Below we take a look at what your rights in this instance when your own circumstances change.

Moving out

Moving premises is one of the few instances in which your supplier allows you to exit your business energy contract early. This is because, under the terms of a business energy contract, once you are no longer responsible for the property indicated in the wording of the contract, it is then void. Therefore, if you move out of your premises, you are free to run a business energy comparison and sign a different deal for your new property.

However, before moving out there are a couple of steps that it’s important to follow, such as:

You must write to your business energy suppliers informing them of your move date You should also provide contact information for the new tenant – or the landlord if the property is to remain empty. Please note: It’s important that you communicate your move date to your supplier in writing, either in email or by letter. This will give you a record of correspondence to refer to, if required.

Once you have written to your supplier, they should acknowledge your request within 10 working days. They will ensure your contract ends on the date that you’ve provided them, and they will use the details of the new tenants, or landlord, to create a new deemed rates contract for the property.

Please Note: When moving into a new property, it’s important that you run a business energy comparison as you’ll be on your supplier’s deemed rates (also known as out of contract rates). Deemed rates are typically a supplier’s most expensive rates, and there’s a good chance that you’ll find a better deal by switching.

For a more in depth look at business energy when changing properties, click the link.

Going out of business

Much like when moving premises, if your circumstances mean you have to declare bankruptcy, then you will no longer be responsible for your business’s energy contract.

If you’re in debt with your energy supplier when declaring bankruptcy, it’s the responsibility of the case examiner to decide whether you’re required to pay the outstanding money back to the supplier.

If a business is in bankruptcy and cannot afford to pay off their outstanding debts, it is possible to apply for a Debt Relief Order (DRO) which can offset certain types of payments for up to 12 months.

To be eligible for a Debt Relief Order you and your business must meet the following criteria:

  • You must owe no more than £20,000
  • You must have less than £50 in expendable income after tax, national insurance and essential living costs
  • You have lived or worked in England or Wales within the last three years
  • Your combined assets must have a worth less than £1000
  • You haven’t had another Debt Relief Order issued in the past 6 years. If you are in debt with your supplier, an independent trustee will be appointed to your case once you have been declared bankrupt. This trustee will take ownership of all of your assets – except for those deemed essential to your job or day-to-day living – and they will be sold in order to raise money to pay off your outstanding debt.

Please note: When declaring bankruptcy, it’s important to act as quickly as possible, and comply with everything that is requested of you. If the bankruptcy investigation lasts for more than 12 months, then you run the risk of your case being taken settled in court.

For more information and advice on business debt, visit the Business Debt Line website.

Remember, after declaring bankruptcy, certain restrictions are placed on you, which could mean that if you decide to run another business, energy suppliers may require an upfront deposit before agreeing to offer you a contract. You must also ensure that you fully declare to suppliers that you have previously been bankrupt.

Selling your business

When selling your business, as soon as you’re no longer responsible for the business, your business energy contract will no longer be valid.

As soon as you know that you’re selling, you should inform your supplier, in writing, as soon as possible. Once you have informed your supplier, you can expect to receive acknowledgement of your request within 14 days. Your supplier may also ask for the details of the individual who is buying your business – particularly if they intend on keeping the same premises.

Supplier Contact number Email Address
British gas business 0800 107 3457

British Gas PO Box 227 ROTHERHAM S98 1PD

EDF 0800 096 2255

EDF Energy Osprey House Osprey Road EXETER EX2 7WN

E.ON 0333 202 4586

Customer Service Centre, E.ON, PO Box 7750, Nottingham NG1 6WR

npower for business

Electricity: 0845 166 3360

Gas: 0845 166 3320

npower Group Ltd PO Box 177 Houghton le Spring DH4 9AQ

Scottish Power Business 0800 040 7002

ScottishPower Customer Services, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE

SSE 0345 725 2526

ScottishPower Customer Services, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE

Opus Energy 0843 227 2377

Royal Pavilion, 2 Summerhouse Road, NN3 6BJ

DONG Energy 0800 0568 101

DONG Energy 5 Howick Place London SW1P 1WG

CNG 01423 502 554

CNG Ltd, 2 Victoria Avenue, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 1EL

Corona Energy 0800 804 8589

Edward Hyde Building 38 Clarendon Road Watford, WD17 1JW

Haven Power 01473 725 943

32 The Havens, Ransomes Europark, Ipswich, Suffolk IP3 9SJ

Dual Energy 01903 703 400

Dual Energy, Premium House, The Esplanade, Worthing BN11 2BJ

Gazprom 0845 230 0011

Gazprom Energy, 27 Quay Street, Manchester, M3 3GY

Extra Energy 08451 400 251

54 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8PE

Crown Gas & Power 0161 762 7744

Crown Gas & Power Bury New Road, Heap Bridge, Bury BL9 7HY, UK

Remember, if you are not satisfied with the service your supplier is offering, you can switch, and you could be surprised by how much you could be saving.