Need help? Call us on

0800 970 0077

Monday to friday from 9am to 5:30pm

I've received a bill in someone else's name

I've received a bill in someone else's name


If you find you’re receiving energy bills in another person’s name, there could be several potential reasons for this.

There’s a chance that when setting up your business energy contract, your supplier has simply recorded the wrong name as the account holder. Another possibility is that the supplier has failed to remove the name of a previous occupant of your address from the account.

In both cases, your business is responsible for any debt that the account incurs. However, if the account is in the name of a past tenant, and you can prove that the debt was incurred before you became responsible for the property, then you are not liable for the money owed.

Please Note: Suppliers will often require a copy of your lease agreement to confirm the date that you became the responsible party for your property.

Regardless of the nature of the problem, it’s recommended that you contact your supplier as soon as possible to notify them of the issue, so that they can properly update their records. For help identifying the correct account for your property, you should provide your supplier with your MPRN or MPAN. This is an identification number that is unique to your property and can be found on your bill, or on the meter itself.

For help finding your MPR or MPAN, click here.

Supplier Contact number Email Address
British gas business 0800 107 3457

British Gas PO Box 227 ROTHERHAM S98 1PD

EDF 0800 096 2255

EDF Energy Osprey House Osprey Road EXETER EX2 7WN

E.ON 0333 202 4586

Customer Service Centre, E.ON, PO Box 7750, Nottingham NG1 6WR

npower for business

Electricity: 0845 166 3360

Gas: 0845 166 3320

npower Group Ltd PO Box 177 Houghton le Spring DH4 9AQ

Scottish Power Business 0800 040 7002

ScottishPower Customer Services, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE

SSE 0345 725 2526

ScottishPower Customer Services, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE

Opus Energy 0843 227 2377

Royal Pavilion, 2 Summerhouse Road, NN3 6BJ

DONG Energy 0800 0568 101

DONG Energy 5 Howick Place London SW1P 1WG

CNG 01423 502 554

CNG Ltd, 2 Victoria Avenue, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 1EL

Corona Energy 0800 804 8589

Edward Hyde Building 38 Clarendon Road Watford, WD17 1JW

Haven Power 01473 725 943

32 The Havens, Ransomes Europark, Ipswich, Suffolk IP3 9SJ

Dual Energy 01903 703 400

Dual Energy, Premium House, The Esplanade, Worthing BN11 2BJ

Gazprom 0845 230 0011

Gazprom Energy, 27 Quay Street, Manchester, M3 3GY

Extra Energy 08451 400 251

54 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8PE

Crown Gas & Power 0161 762 7744

Crown Gas & Power Bury New Road, Heap Bridge, Bury BL9 7HY, UK

Once you’ve made changes to your account information, you should expect to receive a notification letter from your supplier acknowledging the change within 14 days. If you do not receive this correspondence, take a look at our not called or emailed back page for further advice.

In the event that you are liable for the arrears, and your account falls into debt, your supplier should notify you. They should also provide you with advice to reduce your debt, as well as solutions to effectively manage it, such as a repayment plan.

It’s recommended that you work closely with your supplier if your account is in arrears, and act on the advice that they offer to properly manage the debt. Failure to do so can lead to your property being disconnected. However, this is a supplier’s final resort, and you must receive a notification letter seven days prior to disconnection. For more information on handling debt, click here.

Remember, providing your account is not in debt, you are able to switch away from your supplier if you’re unsatisfied, and you’ll be surprised by how much your business could save!