Need help? Call us on

0800 970 0077

Monday to friday from 9am to 5:30pm

I’m moving premises and my business energy supplier owe me money

I'm moving premises and my business energy supplier owe me money


With a business energy contract you are bound by the terms of your contract for the full duration outlined in the wording. However, moving premises is one circumstance that will allow you to exit your energy contract early and switch, even if your account is in debt.

When moving premises, your responsibility for the energy supplied to your current address ends and switches from you, to the landlord, or new tenant. This means that any energy that is used once you are no longer associated with an address is no longer your responsibility. However, if you’re currently in debt with your previous supplier, you are still liable for the amount that you owe.

Please note: Your energy supplier will send you reminders of the amount owed, and attempt to contact you through a variety of means, including mail, email and phone. It’s recommend that you do not ignore these requests, as it could negatively impact your business’s credit score, or result in a court or bailiff summons.

In the event that your supplier attempts to block your switch when moving premises due to outstanding balance on your account, you should contact them to highlight the issue, stating that you are within your right to switch contracts because you’re moving premises.

Supplier Contact number Email Address
British gas business 0800 107 3457

British Gas PO Box 227 ROTHERHAM S98 1PD

EDF 0800 096 2255

EDF Energy Osprey House Osprey Road EXETER EX2 7WN

E.ON 0333 202 4586

Customer Service Centre, E.ON, PO Box 7750, Nottingham NG1 6WR

npower for business

Electricity: 0845 166 3360

Gas: 0845 166 3320

npower Group Ltd PO Box 177 Houghton le Spring DH4 9AQ

Scottish Power Business 0800 040 7002

ScottishPower Customer Services, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE

SSE 0345 725 2526

ScottishPower Customer Services, Cathcart Business Park, Spean Street, Glasgow, G44 4BE

Opus Energy 0843 227 2377

Royal Pavilion, 2 Summerhouse Road, NN3 6BJ

DONG Energy 0800 0568 101

DONG Energy 5 Howick Place London SW1P 1WG

CNG 01423 502 554

CNG Ltd, 2 Victoria Avenue, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1 1EL

Corona Energy 0800 804 8589

Edward Hyde Building 38 Clarendon Road Watford, WD17 1JW

Haven Power 01473 725 943

32 The Havens, Ransomes Europark, Ipswich, Suffolk IP3 9SJ

Dual Energy 01903 703 400

Dual Energy, Premium House, The Esplanade, Worthing BN11 2BJ

Gazprom 0845 230 0011

Gazprom Energy, 27 Quay Street, Manchester, M3 3GY

Extra Energy 08451 400 251

54 Hagley Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 8PE

Crown Gas & Power 0161 762 7744

Crown Gas & Power Bury New Road, Heap Bridge, Bury BL9 7HY, UK

Please note: It’s important that you make your complaint in writing, along with a correspondence date, so you have a record of correspondence to call upon, if required.

If your supplier does not respond to you within 14-days, then you should escalate the issue to the CEO of the company. Again, if you still receive no response, then your next step is to bring the matter before the Energy Ombudsman, who will independently investigate the matter and arrive at a ruling.


Phone: 0330 440 1624



Post: PO Box 966, Warrington, WA4 9DF

The best way to ensure that things go as smoothly as possible when you’re moving house, is to take your meter reading on the day that you move out. This way you can be certain how much energy you used at the property. This will help ensure that you only pay for the energy that you’ve used in the final bill, and not the energy used once you have left the address.

Please note: We understand that taking a meter reading may be right at the bottom of things to do on moving day, but all it requires is a quick photo using a camera phone.

Remember, if you are not satisfied with the service your supplier is offering, you can switch, and you could be surprised by how much you could be saving.