Energy VAT reduction for charities and non-profit organisations
We make it easy for you to get an energy deal that's right for your organisation, comparing prices from a wide panel of suppliers and setting up any contracts to save you time and money.Get an energy quote
What is back-billing?
This article explains what back-billing is and what to do if your supplier hasn’t billed you for energy.
If you’re worried you’re paying too much for electricity, you could save as much as £1,150* a year just by switching utilities. Find out more by filling in the form.
What is back-billing?
Back-billing is used when you haven’t been charged for energy usage for a long period. This type of billing is when your supplier produces a bill for a period you were using energy without being charged. This may also be used to account for mistakes made when calculating previous bills.
If you haven’t received a bill for more than three months, you’ll need to:
- Raise the issue with your supplier so they can investigate the issue.
- Request a manual bill to be created based on your readings, so you have an indication of the total charges.
- Put aside money each month, to ensure you’re not hit with an expensive bill when you eventually receive it.
If your supplier is at fault and you haven’t received a bill for more than a year, you won’t be charged for any energy used prior to the error being detected and a corrected bill being issued.
How do I protect myself from back-billing?
- Register with a supplier immediately.
- Check the number of meters that exist on your premises. Click here for more information on multiple meters.
- Make sure your gas and electricity supplier has accurate details regarding your business.
- Read any communications sent to the address by energy suppliers. For help identifying relevant information on your bill, click here.
- Submit regular meter readings to your supplier.
- If you think you’re paying the wrong amount, contact your supplier as soon as possible – they can help you understand your energy use and offer support.
- Check with your supplier how frequently you should be billed. If you are not receiving bills as regularly as expect to for all your meters, ensure you inform them as soon as possible.
- When you move out of a premises notify your energy supplier and give them meter readings. This will help to ensure that you are billed only for the energy you have used.
Still not sure?
Call one of our experts:
0800 140 4659
Great! 463 reviews on Trust Pilot
“I really liked how easy it is to get a contract sorted. I remembered the virtual signature from last year and I was happy to use it again.”
Shannon Spooner at
Financial Recovery Solutions in Stockport
“We trust you to select the best option and let us know what you have decided. We are more than happy to follow your suggestion.”
Sandra Wood at
Cosmetic Dental Practice in Grimsby
Compare a wide range of quotes
Find great prices from the 'Big Six' and more.
Can your credit score affect your eligibility for business energy tariffs?FIND OUT MORE
Call us on 0800 140 4659 and let's talk
Our service helps you get on - and stay on - lower, fairer rates for electricity, gas, landline, broadband, merchant services and insurance.
Prefer us to call you? Enter your details in the form on the right.
You complete the form, we call you, good things happen.