Energy VAT reduction for charities and non-profit organisations
We make it easy for you to get an energy deal that's right for your organisation, comparing prices from a wide panel of suppliers and setting up any contracts to save you time and money.Get an energy quote
Business energy efficiency guide
This article includes quick and easy tips to help you monitor and reduce your energy usage.
You can reduce your energy spend even further by switching and could save as much as £1,150* a year. Find out more by filling in the form.
How can I reduce my business energy usage?
With the help of your staff, there are many ways you can save energy. Here are some of our top tips:
- Conduct an energy audit
- Use energy efficient lighting
- Use energy efficient computers
- Convince your staff to go green
- Install energy generation technology
How do I conduct an business energy audit?
An audit will help you to identify where energy is being wasted so you can prioritise changes:
- Take regular meter readings, to stay on top of your usage.
- Create a checklist, so you can monitor where energy is being used. For example, heating and lighting.
- Identify bad energy-wasting behaviour. For example, leaving computers on standby.
- Call in a professional auditor to get a detailed report of where energy can be saved.
How do I make my business lighting energy efficient?
- Switch your light bulbs to energy saving alternatives and save up to 80% on energy.
- Operate your lights with motion sensors to ensure they aren’t left on when noone is in the room.
- Rearrange your furniture to ensure you’re making the most of the natural light.
How do I insulate my workplace?
There are enhancements you can make to your workplace to save energy, such as:
- Double-glazed windows, to keep the heat in.
- Free-swing doors, to reduce drafts by preventing staff from leaving doors open.
- Draft excluders for around your doors and windows, to reduce the amount of heat that escapes.
- Radiator boosters to reduce the amount of energy needed to heat up a room.
How do I make my computers energy efficient?
You can reduce your energy spend by updating your computer equipment, as older models tend to use more energy. The Energy Star rating will indicate the energy efficiency of the product.The higher the rating, the more you can expect to save.
How do I convince my staff to go green?
There are a few ways you can encourage staff to become more eco-friendly, such as:
- Offer incentives for going green.
- Promote a ‘green culture’ with posters and email reminders.
- Reward positive results by promoting them to the whole workforce.
- Appoint staff sponsors to help enforce ‘green culture’.
See our eco-friendly behaviour page for more ideas about how to get your staff involved in going green.
How do I install energy generation technology?
With renewable energy technology, like solar panels, you can save on energy bills by generating your own energy.
To pay for the installation, you may be eligible for a grant:
- Enhanced Capital Allowances (ECAs) let businesses write-off the cost of energy-saving equipment against their taxable profit.
- Climate Change Agreements (CCAs) give energy-intensive industries a discount on the Climate Change Levy – a tax introduced to encourage reduced carbon emissions and energy efficiency for businesses.
- EU Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) provides incentives for businesses that reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- The Green Deal lets businesses recoup the cost of implementing energy-saving improvements on their business premises through savings on their energy bills.
- Combined Heat and Power is a process that simultaneously generates usable heat and power, reducing wasted by-product heat.
- Salix Finance provides interest-free loans to public sector organisations who implement energy efficiency improvements.
For more information on available government grants, try the government grant calculator.
Still not sure?
Call one of our experts:
0800 140 4659
Great! 463 reviews on Trust Pilot
“I really liked how easy it is to get a contract sorted. I remembered the virtual signature from last year and I was happy to use it again.”
Shannon Spooner at
Financial Recovery Solutions in Stockport
“We trust you to select the best option and let us know what you have decided. We are more than happy to follow your suggestion.”
Sandra Wood at
Cosmetic Dental Practice in Grimsby
Compare a wide range of quotes
Find great prices from the 'Big Six' and more.
Call us on 0800 140 4659 and let's talk
Our service helps you get on - and stay on - lower, fairer rates for electricity, gas, landline, broadband, merchant services and insurance.
Prefer us to call you? Enter your details in the form on the right.
You complete the form, we call you, good things happen.