Need help? Call us on

0800 970 0077

Monday to friday from 9am to 5:30pm

How safe is your commercial property?

If your property has badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances, you’re risking everything from gas leaks to fires, explosions and even carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that is you can’t see, smell or taste, meaning it can kill quickly with no warning.

How to ensure gas safety when running a commercial catering business

If you run a catering business, such as a café or a restaurant, the law places duties on the responsible person (employer) at any place of work to ensure that any gas appliances, installation pipework and flues under their control, is maintained in a safe condition to prevent risk of injury.

If this applies to you, you are duty-bound to do the following:

Gas equipment must be installed, commissioned and maintained by an appropriately qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. You may be required to provide evidence of this during an inspection by the Environmental Health Officer (EHO), so ask your Gas Safe registered engineer to provide you with the relevant paperwork. If the EHO does not receive evidence of ongoing maintenance of if there are any safety concerns, they may serve a formal notice stating what actions must be taken to comply with the law.

Check the engineer is Gas Safe registered and appropriately qualified for the type of work you need doing. Not all Gas Safe registered engineers can work on all types of gas or appliances. The onus is on you to ensure that the engineer is qualified to work on your gas supply, as well as the type of gas appliances you have. For example:

In a fish and chip shop the engineer must be qualified to work on: In a mobile catering vehicle the engineer must be qualified to work on:
Natural gas/LPG LPG
Catering Commercial mobile catering
Fish and chip range Appliances - for example, commercial catering range cookers LPG

How to ensure gas safety as a domestic or commercial landlord

If you rent out any domestic or commercial properties the law stipulates you are legally responsible the safety of your tenants. This means you should make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

If you’re a landlord, you are legally obliged to make sure:

  • Gas pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
  • All gas appliances and flues provided for tenants use have an annual safety check. You can set a reminder so you don’t forget at
  • Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
  • A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.
  • You keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record for two years.

Before any gas work is carried out always check the engineer is qualified to carry out the work that needs doing e.g. natural gas, domestic boiler. You can find this information on the Gas Safe Register website or by checking the back of the engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. And encourage your tenants to always check the card when any engineers arrive at the property.

For more information and to find or check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website or call 0800 408 5500. You can find or check a Gas Safe registered engineer in your area and check their qualifications at or call 0800 408 5500.